Skip Navigation

The following are frequently asked questions about the Occupational Therapy (OT) Program:

Is this program accredited?

The Master of Occupational Therapy program is accredited by the: Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD  208524929(301) 652-AOTA (2682).  It is also accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

Do candidates for the OT program have to be an OTA?

Yes, the Cabarrus College OT program is designed specifically for experienced OTA's to progress to entry-level master's degree OT's.

Can I apply to the OT program while I am finishing up an OTA curriculum?

Applicants for the OT program must have a minimum of a full year's professional experience as an OTA before an application will be considered. This experience may be full time or part-time with a minimum of 20 hours per week.

How long will the program take?

The OT program will have two tracks:

  • The MOT track for OTA's already with a bachelor's degree will take 2 years of full time academic coursework and Level II Fieldwork
  • The BSIHS/MOT track for OTA's with an associate degree as their highest educational level, will take 3 years for full time academic coursework and Level II Fieldwork (4 years if attending part-time for the first 27 credits).

Can the courses be taken part-time?

  • The MOT track must be taken full time because of its integrated sequence of academic courses.
  • In the BSIHS/MOT track, students may enroll part-time for the first 27 credits of general education and leadership courses; however, each subsequent semester must be full-time.

Should students continue to work as an OTA while enrolled in the program?

The OT curriculum is designed to build on the professional experiences of the OTA, and therefore students are encouraged to work at least part-time during the didactic portion of the program to gain maximum benefit from the learning experience.  However, students should keep in mind that Level II fieldwork experiences are typically scheduled full-time during normal business hours.  Also refer to FAQ questions addressing fieldwork.

For the hybrid courses, when will the weekend on-campus classes be scheduled?

Each hybrid course will have a 3-hour on-campus class every third weekend. Classes will be scheduled Saturdays and Sundays; attendance is mandatory. Level I fieldwork experiences may be scheduled on the Fridays of the on-campus weekend. 

How many fieldworks are required?

Students complete two Level I fieldwork experiences in conjunction with the didactic portion of the program, and two Level II fieldworks following the didactic coursework.

  • Level I fieldworks include 40 hours at the clinical site; scheduling will be arranged to best accommodate the specific site and student. Level I fieldwork may take place on-campus 2-3 times per semester on Friday.
  • Level II fieldworks include 12 weeks of full-time (40/hours per week) in-depth clinical experiences consistent with the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) standards. Level II fieldworks are routinely scheduled for full-time during normal business hours; however, part-time fieldwork is an option pending availability of a fieldwork site. Utilizing the part-time fieldwork option would extend the length of the curriculum.

Additional information regarding all fieldwork can be found in the College Catalog Course Description section.

How is fieldwork arranged when students don’t live near the College?

The academic fieldwork coordinator works with students to schedule available fieldwork experiences near their preferred location per OT Program policies.

Do I need to be technically savvy to be successful in an online learning program?

Applicants should refer to the College Catalog for technical requirements and the Distance Education webpage under the Admissions tab for additional information.   requirements.

When will applications for the OT program be accepted?

Entry into the Occupational Therapy program is offered for fall only. Application timelines follow the College guidelines for all fall admissions.

Is there a time limitation for my pre-requisite courses and/or degrees?

The OT program emphasizes building on occupational therapy assistant experiences, and therefore, pre-requisite courses and/or degrees do not have to be completed within a specific timeframe as long as the applicant has been employed in the field.

Will I need to take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

Applicants for the Cabarrus College OT program are not required to submit GRE scores.

What is acceptable evidence of employment for the application?

Applicants can provide a letter from their employer or supervisor on company letterhead to verify employment for at least one year within the last 5 years.

What is meant by state authorization to offer distance education?

Higher education institutions must obtain state authorization to offer distance education programs and/or courses in states other than their own.

How can I find out if Cabarrus College has state authorization in my state?

A list of current states in which Cabarrus College is authorized to offer distance education programs and/or courses is available in State Authorization. If your state is not listed, please contact the Admissions Office for additional information on its status.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

This will depend on your individual circumstances.  A large percentage of our students receive aid, which includes a mix of scholarships, loans, grants, work/study, institutional gift aid and federal financial aid. Our dedicated financial aid team will work with you individually to find all aid for which you are eligible.  The first step is to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  See the Financial Information section of our website for more information.

For Financial Aid purposes, will I be considered an undergraduate or graduate student?

Students entering directly into the MOT track will enroll in the program as graduate students.

Students enrolling in the BSIHS/MOT track will be considered undergraduate students until earning the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Health Studies degree. At that time, they will transition into graduate studies to complete the MOT degree.


  • American Occupational Therapy Association:
  • American Occupational Therapy Association - Student Pages: - Students
  • National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy:
  • North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy (NCBOT):
  • North Carolina Occupational Therapy Association (NCOTA):